George is an Ivatt tank engine who once visited Copley Hill from the Midland Region.
George was built in 1949 at Crewe Works. He worked on the Midland Region for most of his life, but in 1952, he was loaned to Copley Hill on the Eastern Region after Stephen's accident.
He quickly became friends with Nigel after the duo found out that they both liked cricket. Together the two tank engines talked about cricket as they worked, but this soon drove Allen mad, causing him to make George and Nigel like a different sport: football. In 1953, he left Copley Hill and was given a good sendoff. After making a reference to one of Nigel's favourite cricketers, he departed the yard as a light engine move.
George is a succinct, grumpy, and cocky engine like Nigel, but keeps his work without fussing.
George is based on the real No. 41241, a LMS Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2T which was preserved on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.
George is painted in BR mixed traffic black with extra white and red lining.
- Hand of the Fair Maid! (cameo)
- Goodbye, Stephen the Green Engine! (does not speak)
- Scott and the Herring Gull
- Birds of a Feather
- In Episode 6, George wore Scott's face.
- George was named after his designer, George
- George is the only LMS locomotive in the series to lack smoke deflectors.